BCom / LLB
Year of Admission: 2008
- Property and Development
- Advising contractors, subcontractors and principals/clients on commercial and residential construction contracts including in relation to tendering, delays, payment claims and Building Act compliance. Mike is familiar with the standard form contracts commonly used in New Zealand (such as NZS 3910, NZS 3915, NZIA SCC and those produced by Registered Master Builders).
- Advising companies, limited partnerships and other corporate entities on their structure, shareholder arrangements and funding including the issue of equity and debt securities and exclusions to disclosure under the Financial Markets Conduct Act.
- Advising on business and share acquisitions/sales including reviewing contracts as part of due diligence, drafting and negotiating sale and purchase agreements and advising on warranties and other risk related issues.
- Advising property developers in relation to the acquisition, funding and subdivision of land working collaboratively with surveyors, engineers and utility providers.
- Advising overseas persons on the criteria and process for applying for consent from the Overseas Investment Office to acquire sensitive land.
“We have been using Mike Kemps from Kemps Weir for almost 10 years now, for advice relating to the building industry and contracts. The service and advice we receive is always on time and practical and their knowledge is very in depth. We would have no hesitation in recommending Kemps Weir”.
Platinum Homes Limited
“What has become apparent over the years working with Mike is his ability to find solutions to problems. This ability has worked very well for our company’s reputation and kept us out of court on a number of occasions.”
RCS Construction Group Limited
“To us, Mike is more than just a trusted external advisor, we see him as valuable member of our team helping us drive growth and minimise risk. The wisdom and insight he (and the rest of Kemps Weir) provided us as we undertook a strategic acquisition this year was critical to the success of the project.”
“I am fortunate to have worked with Mike and the team on several highly complicated and large scale subdivision projects over approximately 10 years involving both residential subdivision and rural conservation covenant projects. They not only understand the legal/conveyancing work but also have a good understanding of the planning and commercial elements of these projects which is invaluable. I have always found Mike and his team to provide a first rate service – they do their homework, pay attention to detail, are fast and accurate with their work and know when to pick up the phone.”